Liverpool’s Matip could return sooner than expected

first_imgLiverpool defender Joel Matip could return from his muscle injury sooner than expected, manager Juergen Klopp said as he ruled out the centre-back for Wednesday’s Champions League clash against Spartak Moscow.Matip, one of Liverpool’s first-choice centre-backs, was expected to be sidelined for a month after picking up the injury in the club’s 3-0 Premier League win at Stoke City last week but Klopp is hoping the 26-year-old can make a quicker recovery.“He has hurt his muscle. I don’t know how long exactly he’ll be out, but he’s definitely not playing Wednesday,” Klopp told the club’s website. (www.liverpoolfc.com)“A month? No, I don’t think so. But as always, it’s possible. We have to wait.“But it’s possible that it will be shorter. We will see.”In Matip’s absence, midfielders Gini Wijnaldum and Emre Can were part of a three-man defence in Liverpool’s 5-1 league win over Brighton and Hove Albion last Saturday and Klopp praised the duo for their adaptability.“Emre needs to do that, like Gini can do that. They have to do it, we don’t have anybody else,” Klopp added. “I enjoyed it. It was like ‘wow, interesting’…“It was clear it wouldn’t be perfect, but the boys were ready to cope with the difficulties of the new system.“They did really well.”Klopp’s side are unbeaten in the Champions League and top of their group ahead of their final group match against Moscow.Liverpool, who are fourth in the league, host 10th-placed Everton in the Merseyside derby on Sunday.last_img read more

See More

Lady Stags eye sweep

first_imgAnne Curtis talks about renewing faith in God amid the world’s ‘noise and clutter’ Bulacan inmates, jail guards raise donations for Taal victims Marcos monument beside Aquino’s stirs Tarlac town Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES But San Sebastian coach Roger Gorayeb knew the sweep, which comes with an automatic finals berth a thrice-to-beat bonus, won’t come easy.“It’s always hard to play a team that is desperate so we really have to watch out and play hard,” said Gorayeb.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSEnd of his agony? SC rules in favor of Espinosa, orders promoter heirs to pay boxing legendSPORTSBreak new groundSPORTSMcGregor blasts Cerrone in 40 seconds in UFC returnLyceum coach Emil Lontoc said they “don’t have a choice but to win.” Another loss will end the season for the Lady Pirates who are now at 5-3. For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. DILG to lock shops in Tagaytay City, other areas near Taal Luis Manzano jokes about Mikee Morada’s proposal to Alex Gonzaga: ‘Baka nagtali lang ng sintas’ MOST READcenter_img Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks PLAY LIST 01:40Filipinos turn Taal Volcano ash, plastic trash into bricks01:32Taal Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite Motorcycle taxis ‘illegal’ starting next week — LTFRB board member Palace: Crisis over ABS-CBN franchise unlikely Gilas completes pool, pursues foreign cagers Gamboa officially assumes post as new PNP chief Lyceum is coming off two successive defeats at the hands of Perpetual (21-25, 27-29, 23-25) and Arellano (23-25, 23-25, 20-25).In juniors action, Lyceum also aims for a sweep and an outright finals slot against ousted San Sebastian at 3:30 p.m. San Sebastian takes a step closer to a sweep against a Lyceum side that is on the brink of elimination.The Lady Stags and the Lady Pirates clash at 12:30 p.m. today in the NCAA women’s volleyball at Filoil Flying V Center in San Juan City, with the former just two wins away from a 9-0 sweep.ADVERTISEMENT Ben&Ben, IV of Spades, SB19 win big at 5th Wish Music Awards View commentslast_img read more

See More

Government accountable to Guyanese, not CCJ

first_imgDear Editor,Prime Minister Moses Nagamootoo overstepped his authority when he announced Government’s commitment to “giving teeth” to the CCJ’s ruling that, in Guyana, men are free to disguise themselves as women, and women are free to disguise themselves as men, in public.The Prime Minister has perhaps forgotten that he and his Government are accountable to the 800,000 people of Guyana, and not to the seven judges of the CCJ.Whether or not the CCJ’s ruling is right is irrelevant, because the Government of Guyana has bound itself to abide by that ruling. However, the CCJ cannot, and will never, usurp the sovereignty of the elected Parliament of Guyana.The CCJ is limited to interpreting the laws of Guyana. Our Government is tasked with effectively writing the laws of Guyana within the context of our Constitution, which itself is subject to amendment.The CCJ’s ruling is a blatant, backward, retrograde backdoor step to the introduction of proposed legalisation of same-sex marriages and similar human relations, which are beneath the dignity of Guyana’s dogs, cows, cats and rats.Instead of giving teeth to enforce the CCJ’s ruling, the Prime Minister should be rallying the legal minds of his Government and civic society to legislatively protect the socio-economic and spiritual fabric and values of Guyana, by plugging the Constitutional loopholes through which the CCJ has inserted its pernicious ruling.Cross-dressing, buggery, homosexuality and their affiliates are all offensive to the values of Guyana’s Christian and Muslim majority; to the majority of its Hindu population, and to the foundational principles on which Guyana’s greatness is built.On the other hand, every Guyanese enjoys the inalienable right and freedom to act behind closed doors in a manner of his or her choosing, so long as the exercise of those rights and freedoms do not offend, invade, or wrong the rights and freedoms of others.The laws of Guyana must always protect Guyana’s vulnerable minority from the tyranny of the majority. However, it is palpably abhorrent for our laws to promote the tyranny of the large majority by a small minority.We value our women for who they are, and for what they bring to our society. We value our men for who they are, and for what they bring to our society. When a small minority of our men fail to value themselves for their own inherent self-worth, we must lovingly aid their restoration, not empower them to corrupt and demoralise the rest of our society. This must be the underlying objective of our elected Government: to enhance the values that have made Guyana great.Sincerely,Phyllis J JordanCaretaker-CouncillorConstituency 4; &Convenor, “OperationRestoration”last_img read more

See More

Platini demands CAS reasoning for four year ban

first_imgBut Platini’s lawyers say they still have not been told why the decision was made.In a letter addressed to CAS, the former French footballer’s lawyers demanded an explanation “in as brief a time as possible” and branded CAS’s behaviour “unacceptable”.Platini was sentenced over a 1.8 million euros (2 million Swiss francs, $2 million) payment made to him by Sepp Blatter in 2011.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Ex-UEFA president Michel Platini was banned from football for four years over a suspect two million Swiss francs ($2mn, 1.8mn euros) payment he received from FIFA © AFP / Alain GrosclaudePARIS, France, Aug 30 – Former UEFA president Michel Platini has demanded that the Court for Arbitration of Sport (CAS) explain the reasoning behind their decision to ban him for four years from all activities relating to football.Originally banned for eight years, reduced to six on appeal, Platini took further court action in May and had the ban cut to four.last_img read more

See More

Enbridge and CPPIB sign renewable power deal, create joint venture

first_imgCALGARY, A.B. — Enbridge Inc. has signed a deal for the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board to buy 49 per cent of the pipeline company’s interests in a group renewable power assets for $1.75 billion.Enbridge says the agreement will see the creation of a joint venture that includes all its Canadian renewable power assets, as well as the Cedar Point Wind Farm in Colorado and the Silver State North Solar Project in Nevada.The deal also includes Enbridge’s interests in two German offshore wind projects.- Advertisement -Enbridge says it will keep its interests in certain other U.S. renewable power assets.Under agreement, CPPIB has agreed to fund its share of the remaining costs to complete the German offshore wind projects, estimated at about $500 million, bringing the pension fund’s total commitment to about $2.25 billion.Enbridge and CPPIB have also signed a deal to form a 50-50 joint venture to pursue future European offshore wind projects.Advertisementlast_img read more

See More

Misguided bailout

first_imgAnd that’s doubly true for the mortgage lenders, as the city’s housing department chief Yolanda Chavez pointed out. Burnie Chavez said the proposal would bail out the banks and other lenders that made risky subprime deals in order to reap maximum profits. Yes, some people are going to lose their houses. Not all, or even many, of them are in such dire straits as Burnie. And every single one of them knew, or should have known, the kind of risk they were taking when they signed. If Alarcón wants to help constituents in this kind of jam, he can use his officeholder account and personal prestige to provide the counseling and support for them to broker a better deal with their mortgage holders. In the meantime, let’s see him and the rest of the council get to work using the taxpayers’ dollars to solve the long list of the city’s problems. If L.A. were a better run city, everyone – residents and businesses – would be better off, and that, after all, ought to be the goal of municipal government.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! ‘s sympathetic plight is surely why she was trotted out during an L.A. City Council panel hearing Tuesday to help Councilman Richard Alarcón launch himself as the Pol Who Cares. Alarc n, like the rest of City Hall, doesn’t want to grapple with L.A.’s big problems like traffic congestion, planning and a lack of good jobs, so he jumps on this one for what he sees as the career-building potential. But Alarcón’s volley is misguided. Besides urging state and federal officials to bail out homebuyers, he suggested the city make emergency loans from public funds to people at risk of losing their homes. How can you justify taking the money of people who are working hard to pay their mortgages and “lending” it to people already so heavily in debt they’re facing foreclosure? In simple terms, you’re punishing people who manage their affairs well and rewarding those who don’t. FEW homeowners facing foreclosure are as sympathetic as Evalyn Burnie, who could lose her family’s modest house in Pacoima where she was born. Facing high medical bills from cancer, she succumbed to one of the many attractive but dangerous refinancing come-ons from mortgage companies, one that had low payments now and an adjustable rate in the near future. But then the double-whammy of losing her job during her cancer treatment and her adjustable loan adjusting upward put her in a growing category of homeowners who can’t afford their mortgages. Who couldn’t relate to that kind of misfortune? last_img read more

See More

DEAL DONE! Hull City announce loan signing of Liverpool winger Lazar Markovic

first_img1 Lazar Markovic has linked up with Hull after the termination of his loan deal with Sporting CP Hull have signed Liverpool’s Lazar Markovic on loan until the end of the season after the winger’s stay at Sporting Lisbon was cancelled.The Serbia international’s year-long deal with the Portuguese club was ended early after mutual agreement between them, the player and the Reds and the Merseysiders subsequently confirmed he had immediately joined the Premier League strugglers.Markovic, a £20million signing by former Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers in the summer of 2014, made just 11 appearances for Sporting but last played on December 7 and has featured in just one match-day squad in seven subsequent games.He spent last season on an equally disappointing loan at Fenerbahce, which was cut short by injury, having failed to make the grade at Anfield.Markovic was given a chance to impress Jurgen Klopp in pre-season but the German made a decision early on the 22-year-old was not part of his plans.last_img read more

See More

Doncaster vs Charlton live on talkSPORT 2: Commentary, stream and line-ups

first_img 2 Lee Bowyer’s Charlton take on Doncaster this afternoon Doncaster vs Charlton: Line-upsDoncaster: Markosi, Blair, Butler, Downing, Andrew, Kane, Whiteman, Coppinger, Sadlier, Marquis, WilksSubs: Jones, Rowe, Crawford, Anderson, Smith, May, LewisCharlton: Phillips, Dijksteel, Bielik, Bauer, Taylor, Parker, Purrington, Aribo, Morgan, Sarr, Cullen.Subs: Maxwell, Page, Pearce, Pratley, Lapslie, Forster-Caskey, Williams Doncaster host Charlton this lunchtime in the first-leg of their League One play-off clash.The Addicks finished the season well to come third in the table while Donny just pipped Peterborough to sixth.The key clash will be live on the talkSPORT network as will all of the EFL play-off ties. 2 Grant McCann’s Doncaster host Charlton today Doncaster vs Charlton: How to listenFull commentary from the Keepmoat will be live on talkSPORT 2, with our coverage getting underway at 12pm.Mark Wilson and Neil Redfearn will bring you all the build-up and commentary and to tune just click here for the live stream or click the radio player below.You can also listen through the talkSPORT App, on DAB Digital Radio or on MW 1053 or 1089.For more information about how to listen LIVE on talkSPORT click here.Doncaster vs Charlton: Kick-off timeThe League One play-off semi-final first-leg will get underway at 12:15pm on Sunday, May 12.The two sides have already met three times this season. Doncaster beat Charlton in the FA Cup in December while the league clash at the Keepmoat finished 1-1.Charlton beat Rovers 2-0 at the Valley in November.last_img read more

See More

Master Trooper Detective Tim Kendall is Promoted to Squad Sergeant

first_imgOn February 22, 2018 Indiana State Police Superintendent Douglas Carter announced the promotion of Tim Kendall to the rank of Sergeant to serve as a squad leader in charge of road troopers at the Lafayette Post.  His duties will include the direction of troopers assigned to his squad, evaluating their work performance and post command duties when needed.Sergeant Kendall is a native of Lafayette, IN and graduated from Lafayette Jeff High School.  He went on to get an Associate’s Degree from Vincennes University, a Bachelor’s Degree from Oakland City University in Oakland City, IN and a Master’s Degree from Indiana Tech in Ft. Wayne.Sergeant Kendall also served in the US Army for three years before joining the Indiana Army National Guard where he retired at the rank of Staff Sergeant.  While in the guard, he was deployed to Bosnia where he was part of the US Stabilization Force.  His career with the Indiana State Police started with his appointment in November of 1989.  After graduation form the academy, he was assigned to the Lowell Post for one year and transferred to the Lafayette Post where he worked the road.  While working the road, his duties included Field Training Officer, Meth Suppression Team and the Underwater Search and Rescue Team.  Later, he was assigned to a FBI Safe Streets Task Force that investigated violent street gangs and narcotic activity.  Sergeant Kendall was then laterally promoted to a detective at the post and served in that capacity until this promotion.Sergeant Kendall lives in Tippecanoe County with his family.Photo is from left to right is Superintendent Carter, Sergeant Ann Hampton, Major Ed Schroder, Sergeant Tim Kendall Lt. Tom McKee, LT. Colonel Larry Turner and Lt. Delmer Gross.last_img read more

See More

SA doctors develop affordable heart valves

first_img7 May 2015Cardiac surgery techniques and technology were driven, in the 1960s in Europe and America, by the high death toll from rheumatic heart disease (RHD). In the 1970s the global burden of disease changed and RHD all but disappeared in the global north – but it continues to kill hundreds of thousands in the developing world. A locally developed heart valve is set to change that.Rheumatic heart disease is caused by a preceding group A streptococcal (strep) infection – or strep throat. If left untreated, the antibodies that attack the bacteria in the throat also attack the valves of the heart, and this in many cases proves fatal to the patient.While is not completely understood why rheumatic heart disease is so common in the under-resourced parts of the globe, access to antibiotics is thought to be an important factor.One of the few ways to treat RHD is surgery – replacing the heart valves, says Professor Peter Zilla, head of the Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery at Groote Schuur Hospital and Red Cross Children’s Hospital.Zilla is also the medical director and chief executive of Strait Access Technologies, a start-up with support from the University of Cape Town that aims to develop, manufacture and market cardiac-related medical devices that address the need of the millions of RHD patients worldwide.“Today, in the countries where there is relatively easy access to cardiac surgery, such as the US, Europe and Japan, there is a negligible rate of RHD,” Zilla says. “But in the remaining majority of the population, who live in Africa, India and poorer regions of Asia, an estimated 70- to 75-million patients live with rheumatic heart disease. Of those, about 24% will need heart-valve surgery, and of those who need it, about 70% are likely to be dead by the age of 27 if they do not have surgery.”Strait Technologies says on its website that 1.4-million deaths per year are caused by Rheumatic Heart Disease. And the majority of these are preventable through valve replacement or repair.Estimates put the rate of RHD in Mozambique at 30 cases per 1 000; at 33 cases per 1 000 in Tonga; and up to 51 cases per 1 000 in India.With the current focus in the global north on lifestyle diseases, such as heart attacks and strokes, Zilla says it became apparent that the solutions for rheumatic heart disease needed to be developed locally.Affordable and accessibleSpeaking at an event in Cape Town in April, Zilla says his company, Strait Access Technologies, has developed plastic heart valve technology that will be both affordable and accessible in the developing world.The plastic heart valves can be inserted by the use of non-invasive surgery, at a significantly lower cost than those produced in the global north.“Since access to cardiac surgery is limited in these countries, it is crucial that our treatments for heart-valve diseases are not reliant on the specialised infrastructure needed to perform open-heart surgery, and the valve eliminates the need for continuous anti-coagulation medication,” Zilla said.These plastic heart valves, expected to be ready for clinical use in the next two or three years, are already attracting significant international attention from China and other countries.Zilla said that while high-tech first-world surgery may cater for only the few, Africa was developing novel and simple procedures that could hold the key to closing the gap in treatment between the rich countries of the global north and the under-resourced countries of the developing world.SAinfo and UCT.last_img read more

See More